Thursday, February 4, 2021

Laura Jean McKay, The Animals In That Country

 


- Talking animals for fuck's sake! I don’t like animals, never have. I couldn't finish this book and bailed at page 106. The fundamental premise is absurd. If it hadn’t won the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award I would never have bought it. 

- It really is a silly proposition - a ‘zooflu’ pandemic that enables affected humans to talk to animals and vice versa. I’d rather read a First Nation voice on the land and its vitality. 

- The main character Jean would be at home in Nimbin. She's a lowlife and a drunk. Such a cliche.

- The writing is full of vivid similes: ...her whole voice changes - harder and sweeter at the same time, a boiled lolly; ...like a tourist who doesn't know his face from his bum; The stench of the forest, private as an armpit. Although the narrative circles and circles and circles...

- I was constantly asking where’s the depth? 


No comments:

Post a Comment